Sign in to follow this  
Guest atf

Massive power curve

Guest atf   
Guest atf

Hi, hello to whoever it might concern.

the topic: power curve
some preamble;
So as a new player logs in, selects their mode, and heads over to the chicken pens to punish chickens,
there is but one question every noob woders: "What should I kill for gold?"
Naturally we consult /help, and they say "::lavas or dgs mate".
Fair.

So we go to lavas, some guy who we assume is 'rich' hands you a set of arma and a blowpipe,
and ..... well ... nothing.
You collect your 2.5m per kill for hours, watching chat roll by discussing items worth in the hundreds of Billions.
What gives? Perhaps it's time to farm these 'dgs' with a noob's illgotten power.
Some time passes (40hours or so, perhaps) and a new player can not shake the feeling that a drop will never happen, or that if it does, this process
of killing 'dgs' for 30 hours between injections of 10-20b, wreaks of an uphill battle that only your debit card is powerful enough to overcome.
So one may ask again for /help, to hear that yes in fact, the rates at which you receive loot are based upon the assumption that you've already purchased a twisted bow.
Strangely honest, but undeniably true. perhaps so undeniably true that there is narrowly even the will among other players to deny the fact.
Suppose now that every player has a choice to make; and they will make it one way or the after 40-so hours of demoralizing grind,
what to do?
Pay the price, or walk away?
Nothing mates a minnow leave the lake faster than hearing that the pond is reserved for whales.
Nothing makes a whale migrate faster than realizing that the lake is out of minnows.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solutions(?):
a) Create a bridge
Create an area where loot create a power bridge between magma blowpipe and the twisted bow, since the game is designed around
the twisted bow, there is no 'reasonable expectation' that a player will advance from a magma to a twisted bow through 'natural means'.
Currently the game is designed for the twisted bow, anything stronger is 'uber' status, and the entire weapon hierarchy begins at the tbow, and ends with some insane shit that does 50k dps. 
As it stands, most items worth having are uber, or super uber, or godly uber, or inconceivably uber busted.
(or a blowpipe *womp womp*)

(Yes, it has happened. Some free players have received 10+ emerald boxes in a day before, I'm sure that it's occurred.
Possible and 'reasonable expectation' are not interchangeable.
It -is- possible to punch a shark in the dick.
It's a 'smarter' idea to swipe your debit card to watch someone else do it.)

b) lower drop rates at target creatures
Players with uber+ gear aren't farming dgs. 
they don't want dg loot. they -might- like to open an emerald sack.
let the noobs farm emerald sacks.
I don't want to make this 'about my friend', but anecdotally I have one, who went 3k dgs dry with a blowpipe.
He feels very unrewarded, and questions if the game really even 'wants' his attendance.
Well, it wants his money. But it needs to make him want to pay, by showing him that he doesn't have to.
An option where a player can start at point a) go to point b), c), e) etc if they play.
Not all creatures need to be adjusted, but there really must be something between 1/950 chance to get an item worth 1/6th of a Twisted Bow
and just asking every player to swipe the debit card.
Needed changes to drop rates on a number by number case, I don't know.
But this is clearly a hostile situation for any new player, so I reckon you could only make it better by throwing darts at a board and declaring 
"INCREASE IT BY 70%!" to any creature, loot box, or activity painted there.
The uber god+ tier whales will still have their playgrounds, murdering massive baddies while free players drag a bit behind
at a reasonable pace that more or less reflects their personal level of grind commitment.
Not everything should be effected.

c) take 'troll loot' off the drop tables.
just all of them.
I can't even imagine the pure rage of receiving a staff of light from DGs after 4k kills dry.
As a new player, I would quit on the spot if that happened in a game where I've already been pushed to make a purchase
just to play at the intended pace.
I pray that this won't actually happen to me before I'm committed.

Anyways, thanks for reading, if you read this.

"trunfo ganhou a América.
fomos traídos.
liberdade ou morte." 

GIM Fergle    8

Doesn't really help that donator deals are being pushed into broadcast every 20mins either. 

Even as an Ironman this grind is beyond tedious and insanely boring to me to be frank. Maybe if the content was instead made more engaging instead of so AFK but with better drop rates the server would see more success from players who actually enjoy the aspects of progression.  or maybe adjust the droptables so they aren't so fucking RNG lottery based. Actually have some items worth farming at areas not just the lottery boxes which most of the time won't even give you anything that's useful

Edited by GIM Fergle

Name me a MMORPG that you can obtain BIS end game gear in under 1 month without any kind of donating that is actually worth playing. You got to realize at the end of the day this is a business. As a business owner (which I'm not) you would want your brand/game/product to grow as much and as fast as possible. Now we all know money doesn't grow on trees. I don't think anyone should be ashamed or feel bad for spending money on a game, its their money let them do what they want with it. Now at the same time if your spending money on a game you want to get your monies worth correct? You don't want the same old thing everyone can get in a couple weeks of just playing. Imo this server is one of the more conservative on pushing goodie bags. Its throw in the chat but every player has the option to turn them off and if you do you get no alerts. So if you feel like they are pushing ads all the time, ::togglealerts fixed. Does every game have flaws yes but you your not going to get away from that no matter where you go. 

Now I 100% agree there needs be some fill in items in between Magma Bp-Tbow, Raiper-Scythe of Vitur, and honestly I think mage is probably fine how it is with thammaron-sang, well if sang ever goes back down. I am in no way saying that I think people NEED to donate, but if someone wants to spend their own money, let them. Mak3 if living proof that someone doesn't have to donate a bunch of $$$ to get to end game gear. This is a game based on "grinding" remember that.

#nowroastmyopinionlol

• Love 1

GIM Fergle    8
7 hours ago, Slowasshonda said:

Name me a MMORPG that you can obtain BIS end game gear in under 1 month without any kind of donating that is actually worth playing. You got to realize at the end of the day this is a business. As a business owner (which I'm not) you would want your brand/game/product to grow as much and as fast as possible. Now we all know money doesn't grow on trees. I don't think anyone should be ashamed or feel bad for spending money on a game, its their money let them do what they want with it. Now at the same time if your spending money on a game you want to get your monies worth correct? You don't want the same old thing everyone can get in a couple weeks of just playing. Imo this server is one of the more conservative on pushing goodie bags. Its throw in the chat but every player has the option to turn them off and if you do you get no alerts. So if you feel like they are pushing ads all the time, ::togglealerts fixed. Does every game have flaws yes but you your not going to get away from that no matter where you go. 

Now I 100% agree there needs be some fill in items in between Magma Bp-Tbow, Raiper-Scythe of Vitur, and honestly I think mage is probably fine how it is with thammaron-sang, well if sang ever goes back down. I am in no way saying that I think people NEED to donate, but if someone wants to spend their own money, let them. Mak3 if living proof that someone doesn't have to donate a bunch of $$$ to get to end game gear. This is a game based on "grinding" remember that.

#nowroastmyopinionlol

Actually togglealerts only works for box loots and we are spammed my goodiebags near 16 hours a day :P (Unless it has been updated in the few days I've been inactive) I agree people should be able to get a rapid growth in their power if they donate, otherwise they wouldn't do it. Having some items that are game changing near unobtainable otherwise is absurd in any MMO. I could go to any real MMO i.e. FF14, ESO, GW2 and WoW and get BiS long before I could do it here. Albeit I do have over 15 years of high level PvE and PvP experience (excluding Runescape as it's the easiest PvE experience on any MMO) You don't need to say it's a game based on grinding. That's Runescape in general. I grew up playing Korean MMO's (Lineage), have well over 15,000 hours on that game as a minimum. The difference is that game was actually a challenging grind, whereas this is quite frankly mundane.

The problem lies that this server is built around getting donations rather than it's true playability. Which you're right, is absolutely amazing for it's owners but it also hinders it's potential growth. I doubt this server will grow larger than it is, fortunately they have a great community of active, social players.

• Like 1

Konsensus    0

Funny because I had a "Rich" man give me full arma and a magma blow pipe with some dragon darts during some 3 man pest control runs lol. I'm still new and haven't seriously tried making money yet just maxing my skills

waffels    13

Honestly I agree, a power gap should be bridged, it is highly unrealistic for someone to just sit at lavas til they have 30b to buy a tbow, however going about saying its because of donations is not the correct way to do it. Maybe some new mid level items would help retain a lot of players. 
I would honestly love to have more mid level content in general, maybe new bosses, new items, new zones even? I know a lot of current "mid level" donation tiers currently dont have much to offer, so maybe we could include a new zone and revamp the server as a mid level turn around. Would make for great advertisement, and hopefully boost up the numbers quite a bit. 

As someone who joined a long time ago I can honestly say I dont know what it is to start fresh on the server anymore, but as someone who has been around a long time I do remember when we didn't have a lot of what we currently do, I think changing this into a suggestion for a mid level revamp would be a better method to go about change. I would love to brain storm some ideas as well if you have any interest in that.